Sunday, October 9, 2011

What Was Your Dream?

When I was young (like 5-6 years old) I hated it when people asked me this one question "What do you want to become when you grow up?" I those days there were just a couple professions I had heard of - Doctor or Engineer! I would say Doctor only because most of my classmates said that. I knew I did not really want to become a Doctor or an Engineer but I was not aware of any other options.  I thought may be things will change and I will do something different.

Sometime later when my Dad and I used to stargaze and Mum told me about the man on the moon (Neil Armstrong and Rakesh Sharma the first Indian in space ) I dreamed of becoming an Astronaut. I actually  had dreams of floating among stars and walking on the Moon :P I remember there was news of UFOs and I wondered what would happen if I were ever kidnapped :P  Later I learnt that Astronauts need to have a strong mathematical base - I really HATED Math so much that I changed my mind and gave up my astro dream.

When I was 10 I attended my first proper science class.  I liked biology and wanted to become a scientist. Around the same time I used to watch Captain Planet - it was a show that taught kids about pollution and how we can save our planet (Click This Wiki Link to know about him). I was totally into it and learnt the title song.  I think I still remember it - Captain Planet, he's our hero, gonna take pollution down to Zero.  He's our powers magnified .... something something and then ended with We're the Planeteers, You can be one too. 'Cause saving our planet is the thing to do Looting and polluting is not the way, Hear what Captain Planet has to say: "The Power is Yours!!" :D and even made notes of all the GK they shared (I actually wrote down the points!) that was a really good show and I miss it sometimes. So yeah, I wanted to do something for the planet and dreamt about inventing something that will save the world from global warming. Here also again.. Science students were required to be good at Math! So numbers made me change my mind again.

When I was about 12 I wrote my first poem and wrote about 49 more! :) Yep.. I wrote about anything I remember I had written one about the seed germination process.  Then something bad happened, I had a made a book of my poems and given it to someone to read.. and they lost it! Can you believe it!? They just LOST it!! That hurt me so much I had written soo many poems and this person just loses it! I cried for days over it and then decided I will never write again (Well I'm still writing now! So something nice happened and I later changed my mind  :D) But around this time I realized I could write and thought of becoming a writer too.  

When I was preparing for my board exams I had decided I would be going for Arts and majoring in Literature and Psychology (Yes I'm serious!) I wanted to be a Journalist or something to do with Psychology (I was interested in reading people).  I had even bought the admission form of the Arts college. Now, my Mum was sneaky - she asked me one little question "Do you like to write short answers or lengthy ones that span pages and pages?" I said Short ones.  She explained that arts students have to really write pages and pages for their exams while Commerce students just need to create one balance sheet or solve a problem and they get full marks.  She also said its not like Math and I would be fine. Well, that was all it took and I eventually ended up in a Commerce college and specializing  in Management. I had no idea then as to what I would be exactly doing for a profession.

When I was in college I came across this one Astrology book by Cherio and for some time I even thought about Astrology (nice substitute for not making to Astronomy :P) but this was short lived again due to all the numbers and calculations! I have a mental block around numbers.

I dreamed about a lot of things as a child but today I find myself somewhere else.  I hated math and numbers and avoided it so much that the course of my dreams changed and today I'm working for a financial company :P I don't regret it though. My work is nothing to do with numbers :P :D - I love systems and people interaction and my current job gives me that.  I think I am one of those people who are happy with with their job (most of the times :P)...

But, Zindagi abhi bohot baaki hai :) My love for writing is alive (I like to think) through this blog :) I guess somehow through all the things that we dream of the real passion stays alive no matter what. 

2 comments:

  1. good one Nikki...mujhe apna bachpan yaad aa gaya...hehe..ssly as kids we dreamed abt bcoming anything which we liked...i too remember tat Captain Planet cartoon...it wass kool..i completely understand ur hate for Math..u knw i too almost filled in the application for Science straight after 10th..smething pushed me away...nd thankfully no Math...hehe..keep writing...ur good at it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Good One Nikki, made me remember all my dreams..:-)

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Share it :)