Sunday, October 30, 2011

An Unmarried Girl

What is the problem if girls my age are still not married? Really why do some people have to exclaim when they hear I'm single.  Today I'm narrating an incident - a first for me. 

I happened to run into this distant relative of an aunt today.  There have been too many accidental meetings with her this year and she has been progressively becoming more annoying than the last time.  Since the last three meetings she had been asking if I my family was looking (for a groom), if I'm getting married soon or if I'm engaged.  So here's what happened today.

The bell rang and I was the one who opened it.  What a surprise, there she was - lets call her aunty Elly - with her daughter and  niece I presume. We exchanged the regular pleasantries (inside I cringed - oh why today?).  She settled in and was speaking with uncle while sat with my laptop, browsing and chatting with friends.  She looks at me smiles and asks 'To kahi baat pakki hui beta?' I smile back and reply in negative and try to hide behind the laptop! (ugghh really why IS SHE bothered?).  she goes on as asks "Are you working or playing a game?" I reply "I have to finish some urgent work" (on my personal red laptop :P). She goes back to chatting with uncle. 

Five minutes later she asks me "How old are you?" I'm a little annoyed at her question but reply - 25.. She still wants to confirm so asks me which year! My uncle replies "She is 86 born same year as my elder son" She is now calculating and says " So you have completed 25 and running on 26..hmmmm" I usually don't care when it comes to stating my age but the way she said it felt like she was disrobing me :(...  I wonder when she will leave. Elly is relentless.. she seems to have made up her mind to get as much as info about me today.  She asks me about my star sign, horoscope details! There seems to be no end to it,  I feel like a victim. Pause.  She is now back to talking to my uncle. 

Then she asks me "So what kind of a guy are you looking for?" I'm surprised and dumbfounded at this question.  I stumble and just able to  react with ''huh?!.. Why... What do you mean?"  She asks "What are your expectations? a Doctor, Engineer, Professor?" I reply "I don't know" and go back to starting into my laptop praying God let this be over soon.  And then another question "What's your height?" I tell her I'm 5ft 4in.  She goes on... "So will you be fine with a 5ft 5in tall guy?" OMG she had someone in her mind already!!! I'm quick to reply with "NO, The guy has to be minimum 5ft 9in... I wear heels you see and some are about 4 inches high" (I'm just ROFLing inside) 'Elly had crossed over her boundary of the regular nosy relative and walked in to the role of a matchmaker and couple of steps too close into my personal space.  I wish I could just walk out right now but can't look rude.  I'm praying someone just calls me.

"Oh!" She exclaims and continues "Well you know wearing heels is not good for health.  There is a Orthopedic I know and he advises that girls should not wear heels at all.  I know it looks good but in the long term it causes back ache" after intruding my personal space she is now acting as my health instructor. She then asks how many siblings I have and what is my educational qualification how long have I been working. By the end of it I was sooo annoyed and tempted to say Thanks very much but I love wearing heels and I don't plan on getting married at all.  

This was my first ever experience with a nosy relative.  Makes me wonder why can't girls be single and happy? Why do people expect that after a certain age we have to get married? I understand marriage can be beautiful if you meet the right one but it can be totally opposite if rushed into.  From where I'm standing right now its - Better alone than bad company.

3 comments:

  1. Refreshingly succinct as usual. I can soo relate to the 'So...hitched yet?' question. But u are better off...coz us guys fall prey to annoying relatives-friends who manage to have fun at our expense.

    Deep down I think it's their jealousy which comes out this way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks abd

    I agree with you.. must be jealousy :) hehe .. khud ki naav doob gayi to bas jo bache hai unko bhi dubao types :D

    However, I doubt girls have it easy... If we decide to not get married that can create such HUGE storm in the family... maybe unmarried men are more acceptable than unmarried women..

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Share it :)