Wednesday, October 5, 2011

An Unlucky Day

Sometimes I wonder if there is anything like a bad omen or is it something we notice when things don't work for us.

It was bright and the noisy the traffic woke me.  I tried to look at the watch see what time it was and it looked like it was 10 am! I was suppose to wake up at 8 am!!! The phone alarm did not ring? No time to think had to quickly get ready.  I rushed in the shower and realized i had oiled my hair the previous night and it would take atleast 45 min to get ready to leave! Damn why was I late today!! I was out of the house by 11 am.. I was walking toward the train station and I see a black cat cross the road.  A thought corsses my mind - really!? Is it really true what they say? Nah! Its just superstitions. 

I reach the station and see the train leave.  I just missed it, just then there is an announcement the next train has been delayed by 15 minutes.  Its times like these when time seems to really really slow down! Grrr.  Tried listening to some music to take my mind off how late I was running today.  The train finally arrives, I'm just able to make it to work at the usual time 12 .45.  Its Monday and I had to finish somethings before the day could begin.  I'm hungry and decide to get some quick lunch I have just about 15 minutes before Monday fever grips me. 

There's a long queue for the full meal, so quick sandwich it is.  The sandwich people have a grill which they use and it was not working today.  I'm not surprised today! I asked for the cold sandwich to be packed and race to my desk... all the time to check out what to eat or not to eat has taken up 20 mins! I log in and see a meeting reminder pop up.. 10 minutes overdue and its a meeting with Boss! He is someone who hates latecomers.  Really! There's nothing worse than turning up late for his meeting.  This was the 4th time I've been late! This is just perfect for a day like this.  I quickly dial him and apologise for being late.  I'm able to finish lunch in between the call while on mute. Its back to back meetings till about 4 in the afternoon. The To-Do list just keeps getting longer :(

Its one of those days when you wish you had stayed in bed that morning.  Did the cat have anything to do with this? Was that really a bad omen or just a sign of what lay ahead! :(

Then something happens - I was in a meeting my phone begins to ring loudly... Its the alarm tone.  I tried to shut it off and it falls down (all eyes on me...) Just when you think the day could not get worse, it does! I look for it under the table it just keeps getting louder by the second.  I look at the time its 8 and its ringing I'm desperately trying to shut it off but nothing seems to work.  I can't see anything but the screen of the phone.  It has alarm bells dancing on the screen. Oh God the noise... make it stop! everything seems to disappear and all I can see is the phone ringing in my hand.  When I finally am able to stop it I realise its eight O'clock and Monday morning.

It was a dream and I'm glad I woke up! :) Had a good day at work, tasks right on schedule and left on time too :)

6 comments:

  1. OMG Niks..I was reading & relating how this happened to me actually & your ending was really anti climax..Wish days like this remain only as nightmares ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well things like this did happen.. thankfully on different days... if all that happens in one day.. it better be a nightmare! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt as if i was running a race...n was exhausted when i finished reading! but you see how a good writer can control his readers emotions..

    sorry 2 hear that u lost your camera... may be you r about 2 get something better in life.. cheer up!

    Its Joy of giving week.... so how about a happy post 2 start fresh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you it was just a dream. I've actually had the worst day right after my vacation...and considering its Pujos needed some time off...but sigh... that's work life for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. woow tat was indeed a great one Nikki...really kept me intrested till the end only to know that it was a dream..some people do have these bad dreams and some un-luckier one's end up living it..its a good read for both..keep writing..luvd it..
    PS: for a moment i tot u wud have slipped into a coma with the loss of ur cam and now ur cell phone..thankfully it was jst a dream..hehe... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch!! Good.. it was just a dream :)

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Share it :)