Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Waiting Room

The waiting room is a place where time slows down and you seem to have developed a gift where you can actually feel every second of every minute passing by ever soo slowly.  I had to travel interstate and had to take the train .  Five minutes before the scheduled departure there was an announcement - the train was going to be late by FOUR HOURS!!!! I cringed at the amount of the time to  kill (I'm not at all patient you would know that if you had read this old post).  I could have slept a little longer but only if I knew.  I headed toward the waiting room while pulling my luggage reckoning how painful and agonizing.  I'd rather walk around the place than sit at one place and wait for hours to pass by.  But I HAD to wait in the waiting room because the baggage was a bit to heavy to carry around.  

The waiting room can be a good place for people watchers those individuals who like to observe fellow homo-sapiens.  There's someone brushing their teeth, another reading a book, a group of youngsters just sitting around playing cards or simply gossiping.  I see a lady who has been walking around with a toothbrush in her mouth for the last 10 minutes (Yucks!).  Makes me wonder what is the ideal duration for brushing one's teeth.  I generally finish brushing in 2 minutes, some people can really brush for 15 or even 20 minutes! That lady was brushing her teeth so rigorously that it seems like she wanted to polish them - with that much pressure she could just sculpt them (LOL!)

There is also a couple - seems like newlyweds from the way they are behaving; one is too concerned too much about the other.  You can tell they are newly married because the concern seems newish and fresh.  There is also a lady with a sleeping child.  The child keeps waking every 15-20 minutes (may be is sick).   An old lady who has also bee watching this mother and child walks toward the young mother and advises her...Wait its more like a lecture seems to go on for minutes. The young mother just listens and smiles.  The child wakes up once more and is now crying the mother picks up her baby and tries to sing and swing it to sleep in her arms.  The old lady quietly walks back to her seat - may be her advise was not applied :P

There is also a couple of bickering siblings - 2 sisters.  Can't tell what its about but its just loud noise once in a while and one of them storms out of the room.  Another couple enters the room with their two kids - a boy and a girl.  Looks likes they are twins both are crawling + can standing by holding on to something.  The father puts the bags and the kids down.  As soon as the kids are put down one of them stands up holding the fathers leg and looking up at him as if to say pick me up :)  Makes me wonder if the child was thinking 'Pick me up oh great giant into your strong arms' :P 

I just constantly keep looking at my watch hoping the time will pass. Did not want to play music for the fear of running down my battery before I got onto the train - I get really nervous even if its down by one bar! I had a book I tried to read but I almost dozed off - Sleeping in the waiting room can be a bad idea, my worst nightmare is missing a train because I overslept! I had sent a text to a few friends about the train delay and couple of them called back.  Something annoying about this waiting room is that there is no reception an I had to walk out of the room but still stay at the door so I could keep an eye on my luggage.  The only good things about the waiting room is  think there is an expiry to the time we wait there.  The excruciating (largely exaggerated I know but it seemed so) four hours were finally up and I felt this wave of happiness  come over me as I stepped out of the room and little bit closer to my destination.


4 comments:

  1. sometimes wait is amazing.! i would love to keep waiting where there are more of people movements and you need to be alert of your things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting rooms in India are actually in a very pitiable condition. Very dirty, not maintained at all.. How was this one ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen worse.. this one was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you depict the entire scene.. makes me feel I am almost there.. inside the waiting room :)

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Share it :)