Sunday, November 21, 2010

Washing Day

This story is dedicated to all my friends living away from home and have to do their own laundry, much like me.

The most critical activity over the weekend is doing the laundry. Living alone on your own teaches you a lot of things one of them is how to do the laundry (unless you are sending your clothes to the dry cleaner).  We do not realise how important it is to do something the right way unless it goes terribly wrong. 

When I was at home (my home in Goa) doing the laundry meant putting the clothes in the washing machine... just dumping them in.  Mother would take care of the rest.  But it was only after moving to this city and doing my laundry did I realise how not-so-simple it is.  The first week I would wash clothes on a daily basis after returned home from work. By the end of week two I had started collecting clothes to be washed on the weekend.  The first weekend when I had gathered a pile of clothes. I thought of home and missed not having mum around.

That day I learnt something - Always separate the whites and the coloured clothes (this applies if you wash the clothes by hand or in the washing machine)  This is very very important, I regretted not being careful before I had soaked the clothes.  I had a lovely red and white T-shirt, a yellow kurta, a white shirt and a green salwar kameez which I put in to the soap solution all together.  I kept is soaked for an hour.  It was when I got to rinsing the clothes that I saw what had happened - The red and white shirt had now become red and pink, the white shirt had patches of pink  and yellow on it, the yellow kurta had orange patches and the lovely green salwar kameez looked like rotten spinach green! (note: its almost impossible to get the colour off) That day I learnt this very important lesson and never again did I attempt washing all clothes together.

I remembered watching a show where this person goes to the laundry he had put all whites in... but when he  took out the clothes they had turned pink because there was a pair of red socks at the bottom! Found it pretty funny at the time... but when it happened to me... I wasn't laughing.  Anyway was a learning experience.

Hope you liked reading...

1 comment:

  1. ha ha.. you learnt it the hard way, i was much more careful from the very beginning :) :P

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Share it :)